Senior Professor of English, Writing Program Administrator
Whatcom Community College
Bellingham, Washington 98226
Doctor of Arts, English, Idaho State University, Pocatello, May 1996.
Master of Fine Arts, Creative Writing, University of Oregon, Eugene, June 1986
Post-bac studies in English, Portland State University, Portland, Oregon, 1991-93
Bachelor of Science, Psychology/Business; Portland State University, June 1981
PROFESSIONAL SERVICE (selected)
- Anti-Racist Writing Ecologies (Washington state) steering committee: 2020-present
- (de)Composing ENGL&101 (Washington state) steering committee: 2015-2020
- CCCC Executive Committee: 2013-16
- TYCA-National Executive Committee: 2009-12
- CWPA Executive Committee: 2009-10
- TYCA Research Committee: 2012-16 (co-chair), 2018- present
- TYCA-Pacific Northwest Regional EC: 2001-03, 2009-12 (co-chair), 2019-20
- Drafting committee for Framework for Success in Post-Secondary Writing, (CWPA, NCTE, National Writing Project): 2009-10
- Teaching English in the Two-Year College (TETYC) book review editor: 2009-12
- Active Voices: The Language of College and Composition. Fountainhead Press. Spring 2019.
- “Academic Freedom and Two-Year College Writing Program Faculty: Labor, Scholarship, and Compassion.” TETYC (45:4) 2018
- “Toward the Definition of a Writing Program in a Two-Year College: You Say You Want a Revolution?” TETYC March 2013.
- “Rendering the Idea of Writing Programs and Their Leadership at Two-Year Colleges.” Co-authored with Joseph Janangelo. TETYC December 2012.
- “Using an NPR Story to Demonstrate Integrating Sources in a Research Paper.” TETYC March 2011.
- “Not Just a Matter of Fairness: Adjunct Faculty and the Two-Year College Writing Program.” TETYC May 2010.
- “Mapping the Terrain: The WPA at the Two-Year College.” TETYC May 2008.
- “Resurrecting the I-Search: Engaging Meaningful Student Scholarship.” TETYC December 2007.
- “‘To Look at the Writing Itself’: Assessment at the Community College.” Pacific View, TYCA-PNW Newsletter Spring 2006
- “The Current State of Writing Assessment: How to Tell If Our Students Write Well.” Washington Assessment Group Newsletter (EWAG) Spring 2005
- “Teaching About Plagiarism in the Age of the Internet.” TETYC October 1999.
- “Computer-Assisted Commenting.” TETYC September 1998.
- “From Accuplacer to Informed Self-Placement: Lessons from an Early Adopter.” Co-authored with Signee Lynch. Eds. Jessica Nastal, Mya Poe, and Christie Toth. Forthcoming.
- “The Theory that Remains: Toward a Theoretically Informed Writing Assignment.” Sixteen Teachers Teaching: Two-Year College Perspectdives, ed. by Patrick Sullivan. University Press Colorado 2020.
- “Hitting the Wall: Identity and Engagement at a Two-Year College” co-author. In Contingency, Exploitation, and Solidarity. Eds. Bill Lalicker, Seth Kahn, Amy Lynch. WAC Clearinghouse: 2017. (CWPA Best Book Award for 2017)
- “Out of the Ivory Tower and Into the Brand: How the New Two-Year College Mission Shapes the Faculty-Manager.” In A Critical Look at Institutional Missions, Joe Janangelo ed. Parlor Press. 2016.
White and working papers, etc.
- TYCA Working Paper #1: Two-Year College English Faculty Teaching Workload (co-author, November 2020)
- TYCA Working Paper #8: Making the Material Realities of Two-Year College English Labor Visible (co-author November 2020)
- TCYA Workload Task Force report The Profession of Teaching English in the Two-Year College: Findings from the 2019 TYCA Workload Survey (co-author, December 2020)
- TYCA White Paper on Placement Reform (lead author, 2016).
- TYCA White Paper on Developmental Education Reforms (lead author, 2014).
- “Framework for Success in Post-secondary Writing.” Drafting committee chaired by Linda Adler-Kassner and Peggy O’Neill. Council of Writing Program Administrators, 2011.
HONORS AND AWARDS (selected)
- Lisa Ede Teaching Excellence Award, TYCA-Pacific Northwest, 2016
- Exemplary Faculty Award, Washington Community and Technical College Humanities Association, 2005
- Faculty Excellence Award, sponsored by Puget Sound Energy, Whatcom Community College, June 1997
TYCA, TYCA Pacific Northwest
National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE)
Conference on College Composition and Communication
Council of Writing Program Administrators
Council of Basic Writing
The Kaw Nation of Oklahoma