Professor of English, Writing Program Administrator
Whatcom Community College
Bellingham, Washington 98226
Doctor of Arts, English, Idaho State University, Pocatello, May 1996.
Master of Fine Arts, Creative Writing, University of Oregon, Eugene, June 1986
Post-bac studies in English, Portland State University, Portland, Oregon, 1991-93
Bachelor of Science, Psychology/Business; Portland State University, June 1981
PROFESSIONAL SERVICE (selected)
- CCCC Executive Committee: 2013-16
- TYCA Research Committee (co-chair): 2012-16
- TYCA-National Executive Committee: 2009-12
- TYCA-Pacific Northwest, Co-Chair, 2009-12
- CWPA Executive Committee: 2009-10
- Drafting committee for Framework for Success in Post-Secondary Writing, (CWPA, NCTE, National Writing Project): 2009-10
- Teaching English in the Two-Year College (TETYC) book review editor: 2009-12
- Active Voices: The Language of College and Composition. First-year composition textbook. Fountainhead Press. Forthcoming spring 2019.
- “The Theory that Remains: Toward a Theoretically Informed Writing Assignment.” Ten Teachers Teaching, ed. by Patrick Sullivan. Forthcoming from USUP.
- “Academic Freedom and Two-Year College Writing Program Faculty: Labor, Scholarship, and Compassion.” TETYC (45:4) 2018
- “Hitting the Wall: Identity and Engagement at a Two-Year College” co-author. In Contingency, Exploitation, and Solidarity. Eds. Bill Lalicker, Seth Kahn, Amy Lynch. WAC Clearinghouse: 2017.
- “Out of the Ivory Tower and Into the Brand: How the New Two-Year College Mission Shapes the Faculty-Manager.” In A Critical Look at Institutional Missions, Joe Janangelo ed. Parlor Press. 2016.
- “White Paper on Placement Reform” (co-author). TETYC (44:2) 2017
- “White Paper on Developmental Education Reform” (co-author). TETYC (43:3) 2015
- “Toward the Definition of a Writing Program in a Two-Year College: You Say You Want a Revolution?” TETYC March 2013.
- “Rendering the Idea of Writing Programs and Their Leadership at Two-Year Colleges.” Co-authored with Joseph Janangelo. TETYC December 2012.
- “Framework for Success in Post-secondary Writing.” Drafting committee chaired by Linda Adler-Kassner and Peggy O’Neill. Council of Writing Program Administrators, 2011.
- “Using an NPR Story to Demonstrate Integrating Sources in a Research Paper.” TETYC March 2011.
- “Not Just a Matter of Fairness: Adjunct Faculty and the Two-Year College Writing Program.” TETYC May 2010.
- “Mapping the Terrain: The WPA at the Two-Year College.” TETYC May 2008.
- “Resurrecting the I-Search: Engaging Meaningful Student Scholarship.” TETYC December 2007.
- “‘To Look at the Writing Itself’: Assessment at the Community College.” Pacific View, TYCA-PNW Newsletter Spring 2006
- “The Current State of Writing Assessment: How to Tell If Our Students Write Well.” Washington Assessment Group Newsletter (EWAG) Spring 2005
- “Teaching About Plagiarism in the Age of the Internet.” TETYC October 1999.
- “Computer-Assisted Commenting.” TETYC September 1998.
HONORS AND AWARDS (selected)
- TYCA-Pacific Northwest Lisa Ede Teaching Excellence Award, 2016
- Exemplary Faculty Award, Washington Community and Technical College Humanities Association, 2005
- Faculty Excellence Award, sponsored by Puget Sound Energy, Whatcom Community College, June 1997
Council of Writing Program Administrators
National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE)
Conference on College Composition and Communication
The Kaw Nation of Oklahoma